Friday, June 11, 2010

Home

So normally I live in Denton, but I travelled to Mansfield for the weekend, where I grew up. Well I did most of my growing up here, even though I didn't arrive until I was 15. I visited my old house, like I always do. Like a stalker I drive by and stop my car just outside and stare at it. Last night in particular I watched it as I thought of the different memories I had with that house, personal life changing memories, and each memory made the house transform, as if it wasn't a physical presence in space, but a spiritual being in space-time. Time had allowed it to be a different home, always, for every time I changed, but nonetheless, this was my only home, the only one I felt cradled me in such ways.

A good friend of mine sent me a text, after I talked to her about this transformation, and I wanted to post what she quoted, as I thought it was quite interesting and inspirational.

"the house is not an object - a machine to live in; it is the universe that man constructs for himself by imitating the paradigmatic creation of the gods...it is equivalent to a new life."
-Eliade

No comments:

Post a Comment